Position Title: Cook (temporary)
Pay Rate: $16.90 to $17.14
Reports To: Assistant Center Manager
Assist the Cook at assigned location with planning and preparing snacks and meals that meet USDA requirements, Head Start Performance Standards, licensing requirements and Agency’s policies and procedures.
- Sick Leave (1 hour of sick leave for every 40 hours worked)
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of two years institutional or commercial food preparation work experience in directing and assigning work of food services staff.
- Knowledge of quantity food preparation and ability to use a variety of food service equipment.
- Supervisory experience.
- Speak, read, and write English capably, maintain accurate records and competent in basic arithmetic.
- Ability to communicate for effective cooperation with food services and teaching staff. Maintain a positive rapport with all staff, children, and parents. Sensitivity to cultural, economic and language differences within program clients served.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision, assuring that meals are prepared and ready to be served as per scheduled meal time periods.
- Required Food Handlers Card, First Aid/CPR card, and TB skin test documentation.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and required auto insurance.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare or direct preparation of all meals indicated on menus, in accordance with USDA, Head Start
and other Child Development program guidelines.
- Follow menus provided, making changes only with the consent of the USDA Manager. In case of
emergency, improvise and make substitutions as necessary.
- Assume responsibility for the appropriate storage and disposal of unused food.
- Estimate food requirements and control serving portions, eliminating waste and leftovers. Apportion
food in accordance with USDA requirements and yield specified in standardized recipes.
- Maintain defined standards of sanitation and safety for food services staff, kitchen/storerooms, and
kitchen equipment to comply with federal, state, and local health and safety codes. Maintain clean and
safe kitchen, food prep and storeroom areas.
- Provide direction and assign work to other food services staff. Orient and instruct food services
employees in food services regulations, sanitary kitchen procedures, and proper use and care of
equipment and sup plies.
- Maintain a system to check, inspect and store all incoming foods and supplies. Check incoming food
and supplies received against original order and communicate any shortages or errors to the USDA
- Work in cooperation with custodial staff in maintenance of equipment and supplies and the proper
cleaning of food service area. Check equipment and cooking area often to make sure they maintain
safety and sanitation requirements. Report repair and maintenance needs to Center Manager and
- Keep accurate, up-to-date meal production information. Submit all required records according to
- Attend in-service training, staff meetings, and parent meetings as requested; may assist in
preparation of meals for these functions occurring at the site.
- Be committed to characterizing a culture of safety within our centers, playgrounds, buses and anywhere that children may be present. Be familiar with and encourage EPICs culture of “See Something, Say Something”.
Other Job Functions:
- Articulate EPIC’s mission, values and policies to staff and clients; demonstrate commitment to mission,
values and policies in the performance of daily duties.
- Adhere to the values that reflect the working culture at EPIC. Thus, honoring and modeling these values as you carry out your duties on a daily basis.
- Communicate effectively by sharing concerns openly and honestly with appropriate staff members, observes confidentiality in all dealings related to program, staff and families.
- Provide and maintain a safe, healthy, responsive and nurturing learning environment for all children by modeling professional behavior, open communication, embodying a culture of safety and utilizing effective conflict resolution skills.
Working Conditions/Physical/ Mental Abilities and Processes:
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Work requires long periods of standing, walking, lifting, bending, stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, carrying, squatting, twisting, turning, and reaching.
- Ability to lift up to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Ability to feel or grip objects. Use repetitive motions involved with food preparation, work from an awkward position to accomplish cleaning equipment.
- Work also requires standing during the majority of the work shift.
Additional Skills and Conditions:
- Excellent people skills.
- Sound and mature judgment.
- Work positively in a team setting.
- Demonstrate creativity, hard work, and be willing to try new approaches.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively manage workloads and meet deadlines.
- Ability to deal effectively and positively with staff, students and the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Personal computer, telephone, copy and fax machines
Conditions of Employment:
- Prior to employment, complete a pre-employment drug screen, Tb skin test by an EPIC approved healthcare provider at no cost to the employee.
- Pre-employment basic physical by an EPIC healthcare provider (obtain within (30) days of employment and no cost to the employee).
- Must pass an initial and periodic background check through the Washington State Department of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF).
- Provide proof of MMR vaccination and/ or resistance to Measles, Mumps & Rubella.
- Current Food Handlers card (obtain the training within 30 days of employment).
- Current First Aid/CPR card (obtain within thirty 30 days of employment).
- Meet the minimum education requirements within the timeframe as stated in the performance standards.
- Complete Child Abuse and Neglect training and all other mandated training.
- CEO Approval.
I understand the job responsibilities and qualifications required to perform in this capacity and I further verify that all of the information I submit to EPIC for consideration of employment is truthful and accurate, and I understand the conditions of employment as outlined above:
________________________ __________________ _____________
Signature Print Name Date
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required for this position at the time the job is posted. This is not intended to serve as an all-inclusive list. EPIC retains the right to add or change the duties on this position at any time.
EPIC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Posted on November 08, 2023
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
required for this position at the time the job is posted. This is not intended to serve as an all-inclusive list. EPIC retains
the right to add or change the duties on this position at any time.
Return to Job Listings