Position Title: Family Advocate
Pay Rate: $19.01 to $22.43 Hourly
Reports To: Assistant Center Manager
To promote parent involvement through collaborative partnerships which encourage the educational, social and emotional development of all Early Head Start families in the Center Based program. Engage in regular communications with parents and children; provide education, information, parent contacts, parent meetings and monthly newsletters. Ensure that all work is done in accordance with Head Start Performance Standards, USDA requirements, state licensing requirements and agency policies and procedures.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Plans
- Sick Leave (5 hours per payroll)
- Annual Leave (4 hours per payroll)
- Paid Holiday (9)
- Seedlings Scholarship Available
- Employee Assistance Program
- Basic Life Insurance
- 403 B (Employer match after 1 Year or 1,000 hours)
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- HS/GED Required.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License & Auto insurance.
- A credential or certification in social work, human services, family services, counseling or related field. * Candidates who do not meet the minimum education requirement must meet this requirement within eighteen (18) of hire date and will be placed on a Professional Development Plan.
- Two (2) Years related work experience in social work/ health setting. Emphasis on ability to determine client eligibly, tracking of services provided, on-going referral and follow-up of service provided to children and families.
- Bilingual/Bi-literate, English and Spanish required.
- Knowledge and ability to access community service agencies, knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to do assigned work assignments to meet program work plan and contract deadlines.
- Basic computer proficiency.
- Ability to do assignments in an organized, efficient and accurate manner, paying strong attention to detail.
- AA in Early Childhood Education, or related field.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist parents to transition in and out of the Early Head Start program in conjunction with team members.
- Provide written and verbal translation for staff and families, as needed.
- Function as part of a teaching team in the classroom, as needed.
- Assure implementation of the family and Community Partnerships, and Health content are as detailed as required by performance standards.
- Provide for and/or coordinate implementation of health screenings, as per performance standards.
- Assist with the identification of program services providers for medical and dental services.
- Assist the family in locating a medical and/ or dental provider if family does not have one.
- Assist families to obtain a well-child exam and complete dental exam for the enrolled child(ren), completing the necessary paperwork to assure that copies of such are placed in the file as Performance Standards.
- Establish and maintain a system to assure that all attending children have a current immunization.
- Assure implementation of all health activities including individualized health care plan, referrals and follow-up.
- Maintain current updated Emergency Procedure forms.
- Actively work to link the family into existing community resources, including transportation, medical, dental, mental health, food, clothing, early intervention programs, etc.
- Develop and assess Family Partnership Plan.
- Assist in developing monthly newsletter and send to parents of enrolled children.
- Coordination and Integration Activities.
- Conduct family home visits as required and as needed.
- Participate in family staffing and Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT)/IEP meetings as requested by supervisor.
- Recruit and enroll families assuring that all eligibility requirements for programs are met and that all documentation is accurate.
- Actively assist staff and parents in the integration of education, health and special services.
- Attend center family nights, parent meetings and all relevant center activities.
- May be called upon to facilitate family activities.
- Participate in family status reviews, briefing and de-briefing sessions
- Documentation requirements:
- Assemble and maintain the Child and Family file assuring that the files is kept confidential, provide, track and maintain the enrollment, family support, and health sections of the file.
- Maintain a safe, healthy and sanitary environment, indoors and outdoors, ensuring that children are supervised at all times; respond quickly to crisis or emergency situations that may occur; provide first aid, CPR, and access emergency services as needed.
- Implement, support, and promote policies and procedures for Child Abuse and Neglect, Child Guidance and Active Supervision.
- Be committed to characterizing a culture of safety within our centers, playgrounds, buses and anywhere that children may be present. Be familiar with and encourage EPICs culture of “See Something, Say Something”.
- Ensure that proper reporting procedures, tracking and documentation for Child Abuse and Neglect are followed as required by agency policy, state law and Head Start requirements. This includes instances of unprofessional behavior, child abuse and neglect, failure to supervise and other policy violations involving staff.
- Proactively generate and document in-kind contribution.
Other Job Functions:
- Articulate EPIC’s mission, values and policies to staff and clients; demonstrate commitment to mission,
values and policies in the performance of daily duties.
- Adhere to the values that reflect the working culture at EPIC. Thus, honoring and modeling these values as you carry out your duties on a daily basis.
- Communicate effectively by sharing concerns openly and honestly with appropriate staff members, observes confidentiality in all dealings related to program, staff and families.
- Provide and maintain a safe, healthy, responsive and nurturing learning environment for all children by modeling professional behavior, open communication, embodying a culture of safety and utilizing effective conflict resolution skills.
Working Conditions/Physical/ Mental Abilities and Processes:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Work requires daily standing, sitting, walking, stooping, kneeling, lifting, twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, speaking, hearing, seeing and the ability to articulate clearly; use of hands to finger, bending and reaching.
- Ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds
- Ability to feel or operate objects and equipment; reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to work with personal computer for long periods of time.
- Some travel to and from main office and training sites.
- Hours of operation range from 4am-5pm with varying 8hr shift assignments.
Additional Skills and Conditions:
- Excellent people skills.
- Sound and mature judgment.
- Work positively in a team setting.
- Demonstrate creativity, hard work, and be willing to try new approaches.
- Proficiency in computers, including MS Word.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively manage workloads and meet deadlines.
- Ability to deal effectively and positively with staff, students and the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
Personal computer, telephone, copy and fax machines
Conditions of Employment:
- Prior to employment, complete pre-employment drug screen, health exam and a TB skin test be an EPIC Health Care provider at no cost to the employee.
- Must pass initial and periodic background check through the Washington State Department of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF).
- Provide proof of COVID vaccination.
- Provide proof of MMR vaccination and/or resistance to Measles, Mumps & Rubella.
- Current Food Handler card (obtain the training within thirty (30) days of employment).
- Current First Aide/CPR cards, (obtain the training within thirty (30) days of employment.
- Complete Child Abuse and Neglect training and all other mandated training.
- Executive Director Approval.
EPIC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Posted on November 19, 2023
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
required for this position at the time the job is posted. This is not intended to serve as an all-inclusive list. EPIC retains
the right to add or change the duties on this position at any time.
Return to Job Listings